Sunday, January 18, 2009

a long winter and it's not yet over

My grandfather, Bumpa, otherwise known as Daniel Meagher Jr., passed away on the first of the year.

Bumpa was Lois' husband; a charismatic dapper man who met my grandmother during WWII when he was the leader of the AirCobras, an Air Force band, and my grandmother was the singer. They had a life together that could have been a movie: both of them beautiful, musically talented, and absolutely, positively head over heels in love with one another.

While it was sad to see him go, it is nice to know that my grandmother has him with her now.



This picture was taken in Chicago right around the time they were married.

So it's been quite a holiday, what with my sizzled computer (still acting up, with no Mac in sight), family visits, and this sad piece of news. I'm glad now that things have settled though and you and I can start having conversations again.

4 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

You've been missed. Well I've missed you anyway - I was just wondering the other day if you were ever coming back.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. They do look like such a sensational couple in that photo.

I hope your little package from me arrived safely.

Erin said...

aw, Cath, thanks.

my computer was really sucking there for a bit, and then i decided to take the holidays for myself. My grandfather passing though, made it tough to get time to come back... he lived in an apartment in a complex for older people, and my mother, who in actuality had been taking care of him since my grandmother died, really needed help cleaning it out. It was really hard for her to watch her parent's entire lives come down to a bunch of stuff to be divvied between family, given to goodwill, or tossed.

anyway, yesterday was the last day that i went to help her, so it's time to get back on the blogging wagon.

and your package arrived just a bit ago.. i'll be sending you an email shortly because it is absolutely wonderful. i love it, and can't thank you enough.

Heather said...

Erin, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather...you've been noticeably absent from both arenas that I see you in...on a cute note that I hope will make you smile, Alexis calls Greg Bepa, which was the first thing I thought of when I read your blog today.

Garrett said...

Erin, sorry about the loss of your grandfather. That picture is wonderful. You look somuch like your grandma!